Monday, August 21, 2017

Divine Mentoring


“I remember once a seven- or eight-year-old son of ours jumping on his bed hard enough that I thought it might break. I felt a flash of frustration, and I moved quickly to set my house in order. I grabbed my son by his little shoulders and lifted him up to where our eyes met.

“The Spirit put words into my mind. It seemed a quiet voice, but it pierced to my heart: “You are holding a great person.” I gently set him back on the bed and apologized.

“Now he has become the great man the Holy Ghost let me see 40 years ago. I am eternally grateful that the Lord rescued me from my unkind feelings by sending the Holy Ghost to let me see a child of God as He saw him.” (Source: Eyring, “My Peace I Leave with You.”)

In this story, the Holy Ghost mentored a father in the very moment when he was about to discipline his child, showing him the great worth of the child in God’s eyes. The Holy Ghost is the vehicle by which God offers us divine mentoring in our life.

The first step in receiving divine mentorship is to become sensitive enough to hear the Holy Ghost. This is developed as we read the words of God in print because this process brings a recognition of the way that spiritual things feel. It is also developed by experience. As we receive a divine message and act on it, we see good things happen. And when we miss a divine message and see how it would have been better had we received and acted, we learn to discern the messenger when he speaks.

The second step is to become humble enough to accept God’s correction. Repentance is one way to become humble because we see our broken state and become less resistant to change. “Our Father in Heaven is concerned not just about our comfort but even more about our upward progress.” (Eyring) When we suffer, our Father will leverage that discomfort for our eternal benefit if we allow it. He mentors us to grow in love.

In my life, I have been mentored by God. He asked me to teach a Sunday School class of 4-5 year olds via our Bishop and then he taught me how to love them. I had a lesson manual and I used it to get the main message that was to be conveyed but I barely used the content. The Holy Ghost showed me what things to do with the children to win their hearts. I would see in a “glimpse” the activity that the children and I were doing together (in the future) and then I would get the things I needed to do that activity. We played hide the button, sang London Bridges Falling Down, pretended to be kitties and read stories together in addition to our lesson time. One time I was inspired to bring Raggedy Andy dolls, that all look alike, to help us discuss the family relationships of brothers and sisters. After the lesson, the Raggedy Andy dolls were great playthings. I learned from the divine mentorship that God wants us to feel his love at church. He taught me, the teacher, how to convey that love to the children in a way that they understand. I think that this mentorship helped me to learn the higher purpose of Sunday School and worship at church generally and to become a better teacher as I listened to the Holy Ghost’s message.

“By its very nature, [divine] mentoring is an exercise filled with hope. It is instructive and inspirational, for instance, for us to know that the original Twelve, once chided for being unable to wait a mere hour, will one day stand at Jesus’ ”right hand at the day of [His] coming in a pillar of fire, being clothed with robes of righteousness, with crowns upon their heads, in glory even as [Christ is], to judge the whole house of Israel” (D&C 29:12).
It is the essence of developmental discipleship to move from difficulty—such as failing to wait one hour—on to that transcendent scene that lies ahead.” (Source: Maxwell, “Jesus the Perfect Mentor.”)

Because God is able to see the future, he knows what lies ahead and he prepares us little by little, through divine mentorship, to succeed. Winston Churchill said, “To every man, there comes in his lifetime that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered a chance to do a very special thing, unique to him and fitted to his talents.  What a tragedy if that moment comes and finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour?”

While some are mentored to be a hero and act in a decisive way, most of us act in groups with the benefit of others and their gifts and talents. This example shows how God mentors through the actions of those of us who will follow his direction especially when the object of his concern is not listening or distant.

“In His wisdom, the Lord has brought you together in organizations and classes in His Church. He has done so to increase your power to do good. Within these organizations, you have specific charges to serve others for Him. For example, if you are a young woman, you might be asked by your bishop or your Young Women leader to reach out to a Laurel who has become what we sometimes call “less active.” You may know her better than does the bishop or the Young Women leader. You may know that she is feeling troubled at home or at school or perhaps both. Your leaders may not know why they felt impressed to ask you to reach out to her, but the Lord does, and He directs this work through the inspiration of His Spirit.

“Success in your efforts will take a miracle of change both in your heart and in the heart of the young woman you were sent to rescue—and that requires the companionship of the Holy Ghost. The Spirit can allow you to see the less-active Laurel as the Lord sees her. The Lord knows her heart and your heart, and He knows the possibilities of hearts being changed. He can visit you both with His Spirit to inspire humility, forgiveness, and love.

“That Spirit can inspire the words, the deeds, and the patience necessary for you to invite a lamb back to the flock. And He can touch the hearts of the flock in the Laurel class to love and welcome the lost sheep so that when she returns, she will feel she has come home.” (Eyring)

I am convinced that much of God’s work happens under the radar, far from the spotlight, and in small and simple things. His work ensures that individuals are reached, loved and grow. His collective work, which is the work of salvation, will not fail. 

Sources: 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

No comments: