Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Transcend Problems Spiritually

I have lots of problems. They make me cry. If I tell you all about them, you might respond in one of two ways: empathy and understanding or the “suck-it-up” mentality which is to say, “no whining.” Your response doesn’t matter. I can detach from how you respond to me. What matters is my response.

This post is about using spiritual eyes to transcend problems.

I just learned this, so if you’ve never heard me talk about this, it’s because I didn’t know it until now. Spirituality can supply the tools for going two dimensions past any problem to where the problem isn’t the reality. Here’s how it works:

For any problem add a statement of faith and to go to the next dimension add a statement of vision. In math that would look like this:

Problem + faith + vision = something dimensionally different than the original problem

So how would a statement of faith affect a problem? Well first of all, a real problem is going to feel very permanent, unchangeable, impossible and stagnant. A statement of faith acknowledges that the problem is 99% unlikely to budge but focuses on the slim chance or 1% possibility of escape.

Take any problem and describe it. Say, “I see this problem (describe it)” then add something like
  1. I’m making it one day at a time
  2. I’m staying calm
  3. I’m good 
  4. I’m cool under pressure
  5. There’s a chance this will resolve in time
  6. There’s hope 
  7. I’m not afraid of this problem

A statement of faith takes a negative and turns it positive. It doesn’t negate the problem. It just doesn’t emphasize the problem. A statement of faith is not a solution. There may or may not be a solution. This is not about finding a solution only about transcending the problem. Now take the problem with one of the above statements of faith (or one of your own) and add a statement of vision.

A statement of vision is going to describe the potential or the goal for the present reality. So if I’m having trouble with a teenager now, my statement of vision would focus on the potential of that teenager. A statement of vision can describe the desired state or the imagined state of happiness. A statement of vision allows the problem to be while at the same time looking forward to a state without the problem. A statement of vision can give you “positive stamina.” It means that the problem is not permanent and impossible. It says, there is some other state that is possible. I am going there.

My response to problems can be negative and depressing or positive and courageous. My response is what matters. My happiness is tied to my response not your response. I take responsibility for responding with my spiritual eyes. I’m going to hit that third dimension one more time. You can too.

If you liked this post you might also like The Battle of Jericho Revisited.

All images in public domain