Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Gates of Heaven

In this post:  death, the resurrection, Christ's redemption

My grandma just died.  I will never hear her laugh again in this life.  It makes me sad to think of all the things I would like to tell her and now she's gone.

Many prophets have foretold a day when all shall see the salvation of the Lord.  The dead will become immortal and they will be brought to stand before the bar of God.

Isaiah wrote a hymn about the resurrection, the process whereby souls become immortal, in Isaiah 26.  He called for the gates of heaven to open.  He spoke of the peace ordained for those in whose hearts the Lord has worked.  He said the Earth shall "cast out the dead" and they shall "arise."

My artwork depicting the Gates of Heaven spoken of in Isaiah

I have hope that in the resurrection I will see my grandma again clothed in immortality.  The grave has no sting because the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ.

Christ is the only one who offers eternal life to us.  His great personal sacrifice paid for our sins, mistakes and pain.  He broke the bands of death and hell.  We are redeemed.  We must depart from our sins and com to him for mercy to accept that redemption.  We must give up our fleshly lusts and desires.  We have to follow him to green pastures and still waters.  As we spend time in righteousness our character changes and we become closer to what he wants us to be.

My spirituality makes the loss of my grandmother bearable because I have hope in the literal resurrection.  These beliefs also motivate me to depart from sin and follow Christ's teachings.  

I echo Isaiah who said, "O Lord, have we waited for thee; the desire of our soul is to thy name and to the remembrance of thee.  With my soul I have desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early." (Isaiah 26:8-9)

No comments: