Sunday, May 24, 2015

Inviting Revelation

Ephesians 1:17-19
The spirit of wisdom and revelation comes as a sacred feeling or impression.  If you want to experience this, but haven’t there are some things that you can do.  No one can force God to communicate with them, but when prepared, the flow of ideas from heaven is natural.  If you once had the spirit of wisdom and revelation but now no longer enjoy it, there may be some reason that God has hidden his face.  He is the greatest teacher and uses both sun and shadow in his individual tutorials.

Preparatory Steps to Invite Revelation:
  • Slow down. Find peaceful places, linger there, practice being aware. “Be still, and know that I am God.” Ps 46:10 
  • Set the Mood. Soft sacred music can create an atmosphere that invites revelation. Jesus sang a hymn before entering the Mount of Olives. Matt 26:30 
  • Recognize. Sacred moments happen to everyone but are often ignored. When a baby is born or a person dies, the place feels holy. Special events sometimes evoke a sense of sacredness. 
  • Be reverent. “Remember that that which cometh from above is sacred, and must be spoken with care, and by constraint of the Spirit.” D&C 63:64 
  • Prioritize knowledge from God over knowledge from men. “Seek not for riches but for wisdom, and behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich. D&C 6:7 
  • Approach God in humility. “Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you.” D&C 88:63 
  • Ask. “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.” James 1:5 
  • Remember. “Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.” Jer 6:16 

“O Lord, how great are thy works! 
and thy thoughts are very deep.”  
Ps 92:5

Here's an example of a revelation I received.  If you look back at my most recent previous post about sheep you will see a definition of the word "lost."  After writing that post, I was looking for editing errors.  I decided that I needed to define the word "lost."  I decided that it had to be Isaiah's definition, not my definition.  I wrote "Isaiah defined being lost:" without knowing what I would say next.  The Bible fell open to the book of Isaiah.  I began reading in the chapter in front of me having no idea where to look.  The definition fell in my lap like a ripe cherry falls off a tree.  I looked at it and inserted it into my post wondering how I had found it and whether it was the best definition of "lost."  I decided not to question this "revelation."  God knows what Isaiah wrote better than I and when cherries fall, I rejoice and call it good.

Watch a video about revelation here.

Image Credit: Flickr/US Army
If you liked this post you might also like Spiritual Light
You can now get Mama's perspective in your inbox.  Click here.

No comments: