Monday, May 19, 2014

God is Found in Still Places

1.  The story of Elijah
2.  Finding God
3.  External distractions

The story is told in the Bible of a time when God taught the prophet Elijah and all of us about himself.  He passed by Elijah in a strong wind and the rocks of the mountain broke and fell down but God was not in the wind.  A great earthquake shook Elijah but God was not in the earthquake.  After the earthquake, a fire raged but God was not in the fire.  And after the fire there came a still small voice.  God spoke in that stillness.

Earthquakes and fires are aspects of the natural world that get a lot of attention.  They are like loud music with a heavy beat and sparkly clothes in neon colors.  God is not going to come down and get your attention with any of these things.  

When I have been lucky enough to find God, he was in still places.  I have found him in moments of quiet reflection out in nature.  I have been blessed with his presence in my home at night after the kids were in bed.  I have found him in in places that were externally loud but internally I was very still.  However, if I am in a state of internal turmoil and my environment is distracting, I can’t find God anywhere.

What things are externally distracting?  Handheld devices.  Drums.  Police sirens.  Tornadoes.  Low-cut clothing.  What things are internally distracting?  Anger.  Mocking critiques.  Self-incrimination. 

When I go to worship God at church it is very important that the environment invites God’s presence.  My church’s worship service doesn’t have a band with singing performers.  The hymns are accompanied only by an organ or piano.  Some people question this type of service in the modern age.  If God is to be found in modern churches, they will be places without a lot of distractions because of what God taught Elijah.
My dh in a naturally still place

No comments: