Monday, October 13, 2014

Economics x Spirituality

In this post:  economics, leisure time, spirituality, "Come follow me"

If the government “creates” jobs by subsidizing one sector of the economy aren’t they taking tax dollars away from another sector?  Tax dollars are allocated to support building roads or paying farmers to grow corn.  If support is added to the Pre-K education movement, then less tax dollars will be available for roads or farmers.  The Pre-K movement is seen and the fewer jobs in road construction is that which is not seen.



If the average American spends 2.8 hours per day watching television (source: Bureau of Labor Statistics), then that is what is seen (no pun intended).  What is unseen is the place where the time was not allocated such as reading to a child, meditating, exercise, or prayer.  When I emphasize leisure time, I take away emphasis from spirituality or service or whatever.  I don’t know anyone who gets to the end of the day and has accomplished everything on their list.  I have to prioritize spirituality above other good things in order to have it in my life.

This scripture clearly states the principle of seen and unseen costs.
No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.”  Matt 6:24

Spirituality is allocating resources to the strengthening of faith, hope and love.  It is placing a high priority on communicating with God and implementing into my life his teachings.  Spirituality is intentional.  Spirituality brings peace into my highly chaotic life.

“As I [have] turned to the scriptures for inspiration, a particular word [has] stood out time and time again. The word [is] ‘come.’ The Lord said, ‘Come unto me.’ He said, ‘Come learn of me.’ He also said, ‘Come, follow me.’ I like that word, come.” - Thomas S Monson


Come is an invitation.  I choose where I will allocate my time and spare brain cycles.  I choose to come to Christ every time that I pray, read the Bible or other scriptures, or spend time meditating on God’s purpose for my life.

Challenge:  Consider where you allocate your extra time and adjust it, if necessary, to bring more peace into your life.

This essay is based on the ideas of seen and unseen costs explained by Frederic Bastiat in his essay entitled That Which is Seen and That Which is Not Seen.

No comments: